As of January 2, 2018, I currently work as an Information Technology Specialist and Professional Library Assistant at the Scott County Public Library and its two branches. Here is an overview of my daily responsibilities and projects:
TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATION, PROGRAMMING, & OUTREACH
- Develop curriculum for and teach several computer literacy classes at the beginner and intermediate levels.
- Provide one-on-one technological tutoring on a variety of topics and devices.
- Train staff on new technologies and procedures.
- Facilitate the development of the library’s new makerspace and weekly maker lab programming.
- Conduct maker-themed outreach with local schools and after-school programs.
- Plan and execute the summer reading program for adults and for young adults.
- Assist in planning and facilitation of events, like Mini-Con and Free Comic Book Day.
- Draft technological policy and procedure for approval by director and board.
- Troubleshoot computer issues and submit repair tickets to network administrator as needed.
- Assist in transition to new patron access management software and new integrated library system.
BRANDING, MARKETING, & DESIGN
- Design informational guides, forms, and signs for use by staff and patrons.
- Design new branding and promotional materials.
- Curate and disseminate The Avid Reader, the library’s quarterly printed newsletter.
- Launch a new digital version of the newsletter through MailChimp.
- Design and curate monthly displays.
- Manage the library’s social media presence.
- Attend relevant conferences, training, and other opportunities for professional development.
- Liaise with board as needed.
- Redesign website.
Assist patrons at circulation desk by:
- circulating items
- answering reference questions in person and by phone
- conducting reference research
- providing technological assistance for computers, copier, and microfilm reader
- transiting materials
- shelving books
- issuing library cards
- placing holds
- assuring facility is clean and operational
- maintaining cash drawer and receipts
- other duties as needed.
I do my best to create a patron-centered user experience at all times and to protect our patrons’ privacy and freedom to read.